Maximizing Real Estate to Create Affordable, Engaging Spaces
Since 2015, Kinsight has been actively working with B.C. Housing, developers and municipalities in the lower mainland to leverage its properties to provide more housing and community program space. We have added significant numbers of deeply affordable, accessible and inclusive homes as well as a new Children’s Centre for families of Children and Youth with additional support needs.
Housing and community program space initiatives that are currently under development, recently completed, or planned including:
- The Springs – A new mixed-use development in Port Moody, opened in 2022. The Springs represents a partnership between Inlet United Church, Catalyst Community Developments Society and Kinsight. The development features 55 affordable rental units including units for up to seven people served through Kinsight. The Springs also features the Tri-Cities Children’s Centre, a joint initiative between Kinsight and SHARE Family and Community Services.
- George — Kinsight partnered with Marcon, another socially conscious developer, and BC Housing on the George in Port Moody to build homes on a former Kinsight-owned property for nine people we serve.
- 567 Clarke & Como – Marcon, Kinsight and BC Housing also came together for the 567 Clarke & Como development in Coquitlam. Kinsight has six units – for up to nine people – in the inclusive community that opened in 2022.
- Bayrock Terrace – In partnership with Aultrust Financial, the 3000 Henry development will feature a 1,600 square-foot unit that includes a two-bedroom home with two separate, adjacent lock off studios. The flexible space creates options for people we serve to live on their own, with others or with varying levels of support.
- Ksana – Kinsight is working with VanSoHo and Quad City to bring 10 additional affordable and inclusive homes to the Port Moody community as part of this development. This will include deeply affordable homes as well as homes for people with low to moderate incomes.
- Staffed homes and secondary suites – Kinsight is working with municipalities to explore redevelopment of single family dwellings to support people to live in inclusive, fully staffed homes, while also providing more affordable housing to the surrounding community.
- Redevelopment of Kinsight’s Commercial Buildings – Kinsight is working to assess options for re-development of its locations in New Westminster and Port Coquitlam to provide more affordable, accessible and inclusive housing alongside community program space.
By leveraging the value of our real estate and partnering with socially minded developers, we are able to create more community space and affordable and accessible housing that supports a range of independence over time.